Q: Car shuts off when put in to gear after turning on

I turn on the car and it idle a bit high but once it warms up and I change It from park to reverse and/or drive the idle drops low and slowly die out and it stalls out some time even before I switch gears but if car is still warm it will turn back on but I have to give it some gas I just had a oil change done less then a month ago but at that point when I get it back on a bit a smoke comes out my muffler as I give it some gas to keep it alive check the battery altnator is go not sure if my exhaust system is to blame or if there is water in my gas tank car shut off and sometime won't cut back on till it cold again plz help a brother out

Your car seems to be showing symptoms similar to a vehicle with a dirty or failing idle air control valve. This valve regulates airflow when the throttle plate is closed, and if clogged, you will have to usually keep the engine alive by adding throttle input. It may work cold, but when the engine demands more air, and if the valve is stuck, it can stall the engine. Have a professional from YourMechanic come and inspect the stalling issue in person and make the correct repairs.

3. Car shuts off when put in to gear after turning on