Q: Can you drive on 3 lug nuts

On our front right tire, we are missing 2 out of 5 lug nuts. Is it safe to drive on only 3 lug nuts? The back front wheel only has 4, and the back passenger only has 4. Our car vibrates and shakes very badly.

A: Hey there, thanks for writing in. All of th...

Hey there, thanks for writing in. All of the lug nuts are necessary. Leaving even one off could result in warping of the brake rotors or drums, necessitating their replacement. If two are left off that puts an excess load on the remaining three and will compromise their strength and integrity. If you need to have this addressed, a local expert, like one from YourMechanic, can provide new lug nuts and tighten them accordingly.