Q: My temperature gauge went all the way up to the red line and came down but then I pulled over 2009 Dodge Avenger

My car gauge went all way up to the red line and then it went back down then up to the h line and I pulled over and my car want crank

Hello - there are a couple of scenarios which could cause this behavior. If the thermostat fails - sticking shut, or the water pump fails, the engine can overheat very quickly (in seconds) and behave as you describe. A coolant loss, water pump failure, or other failure will cause a slower temperature rise, but with the same result. I recommend an overheating inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. My temperature gauge went all the way up to the red line and came down but then I pulled over 2009 Dodge Avenger