Q: My temperature gauge went all the way up to the red line and came down but then I pulled over 2009 Dodge Avenger

My car gauge went all way up to the red line and then it went back down then up to the h line and I pulled over and my car want crank

Hello - there are a couple of scenarios which could cause this behavior. If the thermostat fails - sticking shut, or the water pump fails, the engine can overheat very quickly (in seconds) and behave as you describe. A coolant loss, water pump failure, or other failure will cause a slower temperature rise, but with the same result. I recommend an overheating inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

• My temperature gauge went all the way up to the red line and came down but then I pulled over 2009 Dodge Avenger