Q: Car won't start; theft light on

My car starts sometimes, but other times it cranks but won't turn over. It has a new battery. The theft light is blinking.

A: The anti-theft system may be experiencing a...

The anti-theft system may be experiencing a fault, and in most cases, will store a code pointing to the problem component. Your symptoms are also close to those of a failing starter assembly. In this case, the vehicle may start intermittently while on other occasions nothing happens when the key is turned, but the vehicle lights and the dashboard operate correctly. I recommend having an experienced technician verify the situation and inspect the starting system as well as your car's anti-theft.