Q: Belt pulley froze

asked by on February 12, 2016

The pulley froze in my car and broke the serpentine belt.

Serpentine/Drive Belt Replacement $96.60 - $317.27 Get a Quote

Hi. First we have to determine which pulley seized. Idler pulley are present to route the belt around obstacles and to provide more belt contact on other parts. They are relatively inexpensive. If the power steering pump, alternator, or water pump seized, if will cost a bit more. If the AC compressor seized, that’s the most expensive repair. The belt and the seized part will need replaced, and the surrounding parts inspected for damage. If you need further assistance, I recommend you have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, inspect the serpentine belt and inspect the pulleys to see which one caused the damage.