Transmission not shifting properly v8-4.6l crown victoria...

Q: Transmission not shifting properly

asked by on July 31, 2017

My son has a 2008 crown Vic and his rpm go up but when he hit the gas it won't go over 20 Mph his dad says transmission but I'm his mom and I'll be the one fixing it I said change the relays and transmission filter please help me

What you are describing is often a sign of low transmission fluid or a faulty transmission control solenoid. As you know, automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.