2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far? Nothing Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect...

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee V8 Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Grand Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far? Nothing Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Mechanic to know before I connect you? The truck overheated and the power steering gave out as well as the heater went out

Automotive Expert
Hello, my name is \*\*\*\*\* \*\*\*\*\* thank you for using just answer. The site will prompt a phone call, but that is not always necessary. If it is necessary later in the conversation, I will propose it. I am sorry you are having this concern, but I will do my best to assist you. I would check the water pump, steering going out with it running sounds like the serpentine belt may have come off. Hope this helps, thank you. Kyle S. A.S.E. certified master auto technician licensed smog technician, test and repair, L-1 advanced engine performance certified Certified Volkswagen technician, 2003,2004,2013,2014,2015 Volkswagen and Audi independent 12 years

I still see the belt connected but not sure if I was looking at the right one
Automotive Expert
Ok. The steering could have also stopped from the engine shutting off. Does the engine still run?

it still runsThe coolant or radiator was sprayed all over the engine...it has remote start and it would not start but when I went inside and turned it on it turned onThe steering wheel went hard before it turned off
Automotive Expert
Can you start it temporarily and see if the belt is turning?

the belt is turning
Automotive Expert
Ok. Not sure why the steering is not working then. I would fill the cooling system and pressure test it to check for any obvious leaks. If there is no obvious leaks, I would start by replacing the [thermostat](/topics-thermostat-jeep/).

The steering is working but it did go out when it overheated on me and after it turned off I was able to park it in the garage with no steering wheel troubleif its not the thermostat?
Automotive Expert
Then the water pump. If there is still an issue, the radiator may be plugged if the coolant looks nasty. Best way to verify for sure on a thermostat: 1. Boil some water. Take it off the stove ( or out of microwave). Drop the thermostat in the water. If its ok, you should see it open up. If its stuck closed, its bad.

Like what kind of issues should I keep an eye open forHow do I unplug the radiator if plugged
Automotive Expert
There is not really any issues you should keep an eye open for. You have a duplicatable issue that needs diagnosis and repair. You replace the radiator if it’s plugged, and flush the motor. That’s only if it is dirty, it’s a 2012, so unlikely. Remove the thermostat, test and replace, after you verify that there is no leaks, with a pressure test. If you do not have this equipment, I reccomend you take it to a shop.