Q: Car does not move and Idles constantly with the check engine light on.

It's cold out right now and we just had are car's oil changed, 3 days later the car started acting up. When driving the car its RPM's would drop off and the car would try to die. later there was a slight whining sound and then there was a sudden spike in the RPM's from 1000 to 3500 after witch the car would not accelerate and the check engine light came on. I opened the hood and it smelled faintly of burnt plastic however it could just have been an oil smell. now when the car is idling whether or not its in park or drive it stays a consistent number. when you press down on the acceleration in drive the rpm's go up smoothly but there is no wheels turning. Occasionally it will drive we have only moved it 20 feet however to a better parking spot. and never tried taking it past 3MPH. Checked MAF and CPS.

Hi there. It seems to be either a transmission issue or the traction control is engaged. The traction control is designed to apply the brakes when a wheel is spinning out of control. However, if the traction control was to act up, it is possible to engage all the brakes and make the vehicle not move. To check this symptom, simply shut off the engine and put the vehicle in any gear other than park. With the parking brake off, try to push the vehicle by hand. If the vehicle moves easy, then the brakes system is disengaged. If the brakes are good, then the transmission is lock out and may have no pressure of an issue. Check the transmission oil level and make sure that its full. Since the engine light is on, it is best to scan the computer for an codes. This will give you a starting point to check on your vehicle. If you need further assistance with you vehicle not moving, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. Car does not move and Idles constantly with the check engine light on.