Q: First gear shifting issues - 1999 Isuzu Amigo

My car has close to 97,000 miles on it. It has an automatic transmission and some issues with it lately. There seems to be a delay in shifting in the first gear as well as slipping out of the first gear occasionally. Except for the first gear, there are no issues with other gears and the shifting is smooth. The dashboard isn't showing any lights on. I've never had the tranny fluid replaced before. Can that cause this problem?

A: Hello. If your vehicle is experiencing shif...

Hello. If your vehicle is experiencing shifting issues and has not had the transmission serviced after nearly 100k miles, it may very well be time for a service. Automatic transmissions operate using the fluid pressure to shift automatically. If the transmission fluid is dirty or contaminated, then it may interfere with the smooth operation of the transmission. I would recommend checking the condition of the fluid to make sure that it is not severely dirty, and servicing the fluid of the transmission as soon as is convenient, to prevent the possibility of any damage occurring to the transmission from bad or dirty fluid.