Q: My car has no power, won't start, and won't take jump start - 2006 Cadillac DTS

asked by on November 10, 2016

I have a 2006 Cadillac DTS I put a brand new battery in last week and change the serpentine belt car drove fine up until this week no warning no alternator light or anything like that I went to work I turned it off and came back out after work to crank it and it was dead no dash lights no accessory lights no horn no headlights nothing I tried to jump start it when I put the cables on it sparked as if something was hooked up incorrectly and the jumper cables got really really warm to the touch so I had it towed home I tried to charge the battery and the same thing happened the charging prongs got really hot so I unhooked it and the car still has no power

Hello. The more issues you have like sparking and excessive heat while trying to charge the battery, the more likely you are to damage it. Since it is brand new, do not attempt to jump start it again until you find what the issue is. You are going to want to turn your attention to the alternator and charging system.

Have it removed and bench tested. It may have one or several issues including a bad ground, faulty voltage regulator, or failed alternator all together. You will also want to take a good look at the battery cables and alternator circuit. Make sure all connections are clean, dry, and tight.

I recommend having a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine why the car is not starting and suggest the needed repairs.