Q: Sluggish start. Bad starter or bad battery? Female. Don't want to get taken by shop.

noticed for couple days. very sluggish when starting car. not making any grinding nor clicking noise when starting. bad starter or bad battery? original battery. I know that's high mileage but 95% of my drive is commuting on freeways, so I don't believe the starter should be going bad in three years.

Hi! That "sluggish starting" (slow cranking speed) is the most common symptom when a battery is at the end of its life. The age of your car is also just about in the normal range for how long batteries last. You are correct that it is very unlikely to be a failing starter. Here’s the good news: many automotive service businesses will test a battery for free (or close to it); it’s one of the least costly things to have wrong with your vehicle; it didn’t leave you stranded. I suggest having it tested today! If you’re trying to avoid having your car in a shop, consider YourMechanic, as a certified technician can come service your battery at your home or office to fix this issue.

• Sluggish start. Bad starter or bad battery? Female. Don't want to get taken by shop.