Q: My oil light came on way before it usually does after getting a battery replaced.

asked by on November 21, 2017

A few weeks ago I got my battery replaced. As I was leaving the mechanic, my change oil light came on. I am nowhere near the miles or time until my next oil change, and I checked the oil and it looks fine. Should I take it to get changed anyway or can I wait until I am due for a change? I was thinking maybe they accidently reset the oil change indicator when changing the battery. Is that possible?

Thanks!

It could be that the service reminder was affected by having the battery disconnected for a short time. These days, it is wise for a technician to hook up an alternative power source while changing the battery to prevent memory loss, but some still might not bother. It should be possible to re-set the oil change reminder with the proper diagnostic equipment. You can have that done at your home or office by contacting YourMechanic. They can send out a technician who can reset your service reminder right there on the spot.