Q: My oil light came on way before it usually does after getting a battery replaced.

asked by on November 21, 2017

A few weeks ago I got my battery replaced. As I was leaving the mechanic, my change oil light came on. I am nowhere near the miles or time until my next oil change, and I checked the oil and it looks fine. Should I take it to get changed anyway or can I wait until I am due for a change? I was thinking maybe they accidently reset the oil change indicator when changing the battery. Is that possible?

Thanks!

Reset Maintenance Reminder System $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

It could be that the service reminder was affected by having the battery disconnected for a short time. These days, it is wise for a technician to hook up an alternative power source while changing the battery to prevent memory loss, but some still might not bother. It should be possible to re-set the oil change reminder with the proper diagnostic equipment. You can have that done at your home or office by contacting YourMechanic. They can send out a technician who can reset your service reminder right there on the spot.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr