Q: Car is vibrating and clanking on start up.

asked by on March 06, 2017

Was driving home from work the other day (car warm) and the motor started to vibrate and clank on startup (intermittently). I gave it a tune up with OEM plugs and coils and the problem is still there. There is even a little white smoke coming out of the tail pipe but the head gasket is not blown. The car will start rough and even smooth out after 5 seconds. I have tried Prius forums with no luck. I need somebody that knows Priuses to come by and work on my car. Thanks

If the car is moved when the engine is cold before it completes its warm-up cycle, then there will be moisture that is drawn into the engine causing the engine to shake and vibrate with a clanking noise. The issue seems to be with condensation building up in the intake manifold and being sucked in during starting up. The noise is the condensation trying to compress in the engine’s cylinders and making the engine force to run as it cannot compress a liquid. I suggest running the engine until it is warm all the way before shutting it off to prevent any condensation build up. If you need further assistance with your engine clanking on startup, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.