Q: What other damages occur when the idler pulley freezes?

I'm looking to buy a 98 legacy gt. The owner claims that the idler pulley froze and will need an engine swap altogether. He claims that with a new timing belt, it will run but it won't drive. What other damages occur when the idler pulley freezes? What causes it to not be able to drive anymore? What repairs specifically would it require if i wanted to repair it myself?

A: An idler pulley will never prevent an engin...

An idler pulley will never prevent an engine from ever running again. An idler pulley just has a ball bearing inside of it that can dry out over time causing it to get hot. If the issue is not resolved soon the pulley will eventually seize up and not spin anymore. Simply having the belt and the idler pulley replaced should resolve this issue and the vehicle should run and drive just fine. If the owner says the vehicle is not drivable, there may be other issues that he/she is not being upfront about.