Q: Clunking noise and jolting when put in reverse

asked by on July 25, 2016

My car makes a clunking noise and starts jolting when I put it in reverse. Once I had to get it towed as it was kind of stuck and wouldn't go neither forwards nor in reverse. I was told at the dealership that I needed to get the transmission fluid flushed. I guess I would like another opinion on this issue. What do you think the problem is?

Many different faults can cause the vehicle to clunk and not be able able to shift out of gear. Transmissions use the fluid to help change gears, and when fluid is low or dirty, it can cause many issues with the transmission. Other possible causes would be the transmission range sensor, leakage issues, mechanical transmission faults, or the neutral safety switch. If you need help getting this checked in person, a qualified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the shifting issue and perform any repairs required.