Q: Car started smoking while I was driving

asked by on May 20, 2016

I'm not sure what's causing this problem. There's a lot of water/clear liquid above the headlights and and also inside the hood at the front. The car also started smoking while I was driving. That's why I looked under the hood. What does this mean?

Worst case scenario would be that the engine coolant is leaking, but generally coolant is not a clear fluid. This will cause smoking while driving if it is coolant. The fluid reservoirs for the various systems located in the engine compartment and their levels should be checked. This should be done when the engine is cold, in order to avoid injury. You may want to enlist the help of a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to identify and inspect the type of fluid that is leaking from your vehicle.