Q: Car shudders whenever I brake at a speed of 60-70 mph

When I'm driving interstate speeds, my car vibrates and I have brand new tires. This happens when I brake at the speed-limit level. It's the steering wheel where I feel the vibration, not the pedal. It's only happening at high speeds and occasionally, not all the time. I thought it might be balancing issue, but the tires give a very smooth drive at any speed. Do you think it is the alignment or something else? Thanks for your expert advise.

A: The control arm bushings need to be checked...

The control arm bushings need to be checked. Worn out control arm bushings will change the toe setting at higher speeds, causing the front tires to fight one another. It will also cause a feathering wear to occur on the front tires. If the bushings are fine then a high speed on-the-car balancing of the tires may need to be carried out. If the bushings are worn, special tools are required to press them out of the control arms. You may want to enlist the help of a certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to inspect the cause of the vibration. The mechanic will have the ability to inspect the suspension, and the equipment to carry out any necessary repairs.