Q: I have a 2003 Toyota Corolla. My hood won't lock down. It's latching but won't close all the way.

asked by on December 27, 2017

I live in Michigan its freezing here. I went to go jump my car because my lights got left on and my battery died. So after I got it jumped and made sure that it would continue to start and be okay I tried to close the hood. The hood will not close all the way it'll latch but it won't close down and lock I tried pouring grease on it moving it back and forth to lubricate it but it still won't close all the way. The part in my car that I pull to release it to open is loose it doesn't feel like his any grip too and I pull it I'm just pull it without any retention. My first question is will the cold air damage my engine with it not being close completely it's closed to the point where you can't tell that is open unless you're close up on my car but is not locked down. My second question is how much would it cost to get it fixed or is it a way that I can fix it myself.
My car's transmission is unknown to me.

You need to look at the latch under the hood and try to move the lever that the cable hooks to. This may allow the latch to move to the lock position. You should try and move latch to lock position first with hood open and see if it locks and unlocks freely before closing hood or you may close hood and not be able to open it.