Q: Q: humming noise

While on a road trip, my car began making a humming noise. Seems to get louder when at higher speeds, and started being louder when changing lanes or going around curves. All engine gauges in car are normal (oil pressure, temp, etc) The tires are in good shape with even wear. I keep up on all maintenance and repairs but we are 1000 miles from home at the moment and can't ask " Dr. BOb " (our car doctor) what's the scoop. I'm trying to think of all details. It is shifting nicely, All fluids are at the perfect levels. Sometimes I felt like maybe it was still revving a little high while driving even after I took my foot off the pedal. The pedal itself is not sticking at all, but it kinda feels like it's still getting gas after I stop giving it gas. When in park it idles and revvs up nicely, perfectly. This morning it started as soon as I started driving. Not upon starting the car but upon moving it, and it sounded like it was winding up. any help is greatly appreciated.

It sounds like you have a wheel bearing going bad. Noisy wheel bearings will only make noise when the car is in motion. They will get louder the faster you go. They also change pitch, or get louder or more quiet when you turn right or left.

None of these symptoms will affect the drivability of the car. It sounds like you caught it early, so there is not an immediate need to get it fixed while you are on a roadtrip.

It is most likely one of the front bearings, the rear are lubricated by the differential oil. If you would like this repaired, or just a quote, consider YourMechanic, as a certified professional can come to the vehicle’s location to diagnose the sound you’re hearing. Good luck.

3. Q: humming noise