Q: My belt and pulley fell off. What would cause this? Also, there is Green fluid leaking from front driver side.

I turned on my car and immediately heard a loud clunk. I went to move my car and it would go backward and forward but steering wheel wouldnt turn. I checked under car and a belt and what looks like a pulley came off. I went out a half hour later and there was a small puddle of green fluid (power steering fluid?)leaking from front drivers side of car.

The idler pulley or tensioner pulley may have seized up causing the pulley and belt to come off the engine. When these parts come off with the engine running, depending on how fast the engine was running (how high the RPM’s were when it happened) will determine the cause of the coolant leak. Check the coolant hoses and radiator to see if they are cracked. The pulley could have came off and hit the upper coolant hose and slicing it. This will cause coolant to leak down the hose and drip on the ground around the drive side area. Before replacing the pulley and belt, check all of the other pulleys and make sure that they spin, except for the crankshaft pulley, as it spins with the engine running. If you need further assistance with your situation of a coolant leak and belt breakage, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. My belt and pulley fell off. What would cause this? Also, there is Green fluid leaking from front driver side.