My engine makes whirring sound when I start the car and t...

Q: My engine makes whirring sound when I start the car and turn the wheel but stops once the engine warms up.

asked by on October 31, 2017

My car is originally from Arizona and I recently brought it up to Cleveland. This is the cars first time "living" in a cold and wet climate. Within the last few weeks I have noticed a loud whirring sound coming from the engine when I start the car and turn the wheel when parked as well as when moving slowly to park. This sound is most noticeable when my car has been sitting outside for a few hours or overnight. The sound stops once the car warms up and I begin driving over about 10 mph. An oil change was done about 2000 miles ago, the check engine light is not on, and there are no other problems. What could the possible source of this sound be? Should I be worried?

Check to see if the fluid level in the power steering pump reservoir is adequate. Even if the fluid level is correct, the power steering pump could still be the source of the noise. You can figure it out quickly by temporarily disconnecting the belt that drives the pump. If the noise goes away when the pump is not turning, then of course it is the pump, although other components driven by the same belt would have to be ruled out, too. In your circumstance, with the noise occurring as you turn the steering wheel, it is likely to be a noisy pump. To have the pump inspected, and replaced if faulty and if desired by you, please use YourMechanic’s power steering diagnostic/service request page. If you request that service, the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.