Q: Car overheating

My car is overheating. When its in park and running its warms up to the middle. When driving its good for about 5 minutes then it goes all the way in the red zone. Also when its overheated there's steam coming from the front driver side near the head light. Changed the raditator cap and the thermostat and no change. Please help? I think i put the thermostat on correctly. And not sure if it makes a differnce but a week b4 an engine code of p0420 popped up. My boyfriend put the water passed the max line in the overflow tank

It appears you have a couple of things going on with your Chrysler. The engine code P0420 indicates that the catalytic converter is not efficiently doing its job of reducing toxins from the exhaust gases. In some extreme cases, the catalytic converter can clog and cause the engine to work harder and overheat.

At the same time, the two problems may not be related. When servicing the cooling system of the vehicle, it is important to make sure that there are no air pockets in the cooling system. Air pockets allow the coolant in the cooling system to boil at a lower temperature and those air pockets can get stuck in high points of the system, near the coolant temp sensor, causing the temperature gauge to go into the red.

It is also possible and more common for the water pump to be the source of your overheating concerns.

I would recommend enlisting the assistance of a certified mechanic to come by and diagnose your overheating problem. They have the tools and experience needed to quickly determine the cause of your overheating issues and make the repairs needed to get your Voyager driving at the right temperature again.

3. Car overheating