Q: Car stalled while driving, now won't restart.

This is a 7000 mile car that was running like new and just stalled shortly after driving away. It restarted once and ran fine for about 1/4 mile then stalled again and that was it. The car was towed to GM dealer. Result was good fuel pressure, spark, injector impulse. They said possibly injector issue or ecm. Wanted to take intake plenum off to check further starting at $350.00 and go from there. Claimed tech did not have proper scan equipment. I was not confident with their answer and thought this could get expensive and still have them searching. I had It towed home and here it sits and I don't know where to start. I grounded the test port to watch flashing check engine light and there are no codes. Thinking they may have been cleared if fuse was pulled to be checked. Some think the timing belt on this engine is common problem and since it has only 7000 miles, I hope not. I know age is a factor along with miles. I just have a gut feeling this is something simple like a sensor. HELP!

A: Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be...

Hi there, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to offer my insight.

Judging by the mileage and age of the car, I would suspect the car has been sitting for a length of time. With that being said, I recommend starting with the simple approach first, such as checking for bad fuel. Bad fuel can cause a variety of problems and will easily cause a car to not run or run intermittently as you describe. I would also recommend checking the fuel filter and lines as well, since it may have sat for a while.

Next, I would test each of the injectors to be sure they have the proper voltage going to them, since low voltage can cause injector pulse problems. If there is any issue with the injectors, be sure to trace the problem to the injector itself to rule out the possibility of the power coming from the ECU being weak.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make any repairs as needed.