Q: A horrible grinding sound coming from somewhere in the gearbox/ under the hood

So to start off, my car makes a horrible grinding sound after the car starts and idles for about 5 seconds then the grinding sound starts and stops and starts once again very consistanly, this just started today and the grinding is so bad that I don't want to move it from where it's at. I've done some research myself as I think it might just be that I need manual transmission fluid to lubricate the gears. I am confident in this as it does make sense because I'm certain it's coming from the gearbox/ transmission because I can feel it when my hand is on the stick shift but I would feel secured if I ask a highly trained professional. Thank you for any help in advance

I would certainly check the gearbox fluid level first - this is easy to do. If the fluid is very low, damage may have already been done to the gearbox, given your advanced mileage. If you press the clutch pedal, put the car into any gear, and hold the clutch pedal down - does the noise cease? If it does, then yes, a bearing in the transmission has been damaged. If it’s a transmission bearing, the noise would get louder driving it, especially when accelerating. If the noise does not go away when the clutch is depressed, and the car is in gear - the problem may be a damaged flywheel, clutch pressure plate, or other component in the engine. I would recommend having a grinding sound coming from the transmission inspection completed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose this problem, get an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. A horrible grinding sound coming from somewhere in the gearbox/ under the hood