Q: I am thinking of buying a 98 Lexus LS400 with 200,000 mi for $3000. IT runs great and is in beautiful condition. Check Engine light is on 1998 Lexus LS400

My 98 lexus LS400 has a lighted check engine light and a diagnosis indicated it needed a neutral safety switch replacement. What other problems should I suspect that would cause this switch to malfunction? Is there a way to check the starter when replacing it to rule out starter issues?

Hello - as to the starter question, if the starter starts to spin immediately after you turn the key to the "Start" position, spins the motor over briskly without strange noises, hot or cold - the starter is probably fine. I recommend a pre-purchase inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to the location of the vehicle, give it a thorough inspection, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs. You will then make a much better informed purchase decision.