Q: Car squeaking when driving

When I am driving my car, I can hear a squeaking sound. Also, when I shift gears it makes a rattling and clicking noise before I shift. After shifting, the car jerks forward.

A: Hello. I will assume your vehicle is equipp...

Hello. I will assume your vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission as it sounds like you are shifting gears yourself.

The symptoms you’ve given are leading me to a malfunction in your clutch assembly, or engine and transmission assembly mounting. The mounting hardware can cause similar symptoms on both automatic and manual transmissions. The clutch plate in a manual transmission has dampening springs that may become weak or break, and start to make noise as they move around.

Have a mechanic, like the ones here at YourMechanic, look around the engine bay for broken mounts and run a thorough inspection of the noise while driving.