Q: Locking mechanisms malfunction - 2001 Mercedes Benz CL600

The locking mechanisms on my car have been malfunctioning lately. These include the passenger's door, trunk and sun roof. All these quit working properly at the same time. I cannot open the passenger's door with the remote. They can only be opened from the inside of the car. I can't open the trunk neither with a remote, key nor the inside switch. Sun roof can be opened very slowly, inch by inch. Is there a connection between these parts? How can I fix this?

Hello. A few things I would look into are the battery and the central lock vacuum pump. A bad battery can cause all sorts of electrical malfunctions. If the battery checks out, I would then move on to making sure that the alternator is also in good working order, as that can also cause similar issues. If the electrical system checks out I would then move on to checking the central lock vacuum pump. The central lock vacuum pump is responsible for generating the vacuum that the door and trunk locks use to operate. If it fails, or detects any sort of vacuum leaks, it will disable these features. I would recommend a battery check and a careful diagnosis of the door and trunk lock issue to determine the correct repairs that need to be made.