Q: Car makes groaning noise when I turn steering wheel.

asked by on February 11, 2016

My car makes a loud groaning noise when I turn the wheel. When I drive, the noise goes away and it's easy to turn. But if I'm going slow enough or stopped, the noise is loud and the wheel barely turns.

Car is making a noise Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

It sounds like your power steering pump may be out of power steering fluid or it is low. I would recommend having a technician from YourMechanic come out and see if the power steering is leaking somewhere or if the power steering pump needs replacing. Over time the high pressure hoses may start to leak causing the power steering reservoir to run dry and you will lose power steering and it will be very hard to turn the steering wheel. If you would like to have your steering properly diagnosed in person, have a certified mechanic come out and look over your vehicle.