Q: Squealing of the engine while going uphill and at around 2000 RPM

Hi. My Ford has gone around 150,000 miles. Lately, my engine has been squealing at around 2000 RPM. This squealing sound is noticeable only when I drive uphill, which is moderately steep and at the RPM around 2000. The squealing isn't very loud and it goes away afte a couple of seconds, when I increase or decrease the speed going uphill. It occurs while I'm driving on the highway at around 80 mph. Also, it can be noticed at 40 mph while running it on a side road. What should I do?

A squealing noise may be the serpentine belt slipping or one of the accessories binding. Your tensioner or pulley may be bad and need to be replaced. Finally, your compressor pulley bearing may be going bad and it could seize completely and leave you stranded. I recommend getting the problem checked sooner than later to prevent any worse symptoms from arising. A certified mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, can diagnose your car’s squealing noise to verify the faulty component and make the correct repair.