Q: The power steering pump seal keeps breaking when pump is replaced.

asked by on March 18, 2017

The power steering pump went bad on our car there was a terrible whining noise we bought a new pump and have replaced it three times already and I think it's the seal in the pumps keep blowing it squirts out fluid where the pully connects to the rest of the pump the power steering works great when the pump is replaced then a few minutes later it starts squirting fluid everywhere any ideas what it could be?

Power steering fluid is leaking Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

There may be a restriction in the power steering high pressure line causing an excessively high amount of pressure in the line and the pump. If the belt tensioner for the power steering belt is a manual tensioner that can be adjusted, the tension may be too tight causing a high load on the bearings at the power steering pump drive shaft. You can try having the power steering system flushed to see if this will clear any blockages and be sure to use an OEM quality power steering pump as some aftermarket components are not manufactured as well as the originals. Consider hiring an experienced technician like one from YourMechanic who can come out for a closer inspection of the vehicle in order to offer a more personal diagnosis if your power steering concerns.