Q: Steering wheel shakes making it difficult to turn.

asked by on December 28, 2015

I am having trouble with the power steering and find it difficult to turn. The wheel shakes and resists my efforts to turn, though this is less of a problem when traveling fast.

Steering wheel is hard to turn Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

I can imagine it is a bit scary to drive at low speeds with your Avalon’s steering wheel shaking when you need to turn!

One way to verify if your Toyota’s steering is giving you trouble is to open the hood of your car and look for a small reservoir with a black cap. It is located on the passenger side of the engine bay, next to the fender. You can open the cap and peak inside, you’ll notice the cap has a built in dipstick. This is your power steering fluid reservoir. Pull it out and see if your Avalon’s fluid is low and if so, you can add some Toyota specific power steering fluid to the reservoir. Filling it should help you see the steering improve. If the fluid is full however, it is possible that the power steering pump is failing on your Toyota. It’s highly recommended to have a certified professional inspect your steering system to pin point the exact cause, that way the proper repair can be made and keep your vehicle safe on the road