Q: A clunking feel and noise in the steering wheel

asked by on April 28, 2017

Hi..while turning the steering wheel to the left or right, i can feel and hear a clunk noise with a little "tolerable" resistance slightly affecting my control on it. This problem mainly occurs when starting to turn the wheel from still or when moving slowly through a roundabout. Power steering oil level is correct and not leaking . The car isn't making sounds when driving on uneven surfaces...so the steering rack shouldn't be the problem ..I don't think it is related to the outer tie rod end.... thank you!

It is possible that you could have some free play in one or more of your suspension components. There could be play in your ball joints, tie rods, or wheel bearings. I would recommend getting your wheels shaken down by a qualified professional to determine if and where any free play exists. Once the free play is found, I would recommend having any faulty parts replaced as soon as possible to avoid potential safety issues that can result from broken suspension parts. Consider YourMechanic as a certified professional can come to your home or office to inspect and replace your ball joints, tie rods, or wheel bearings.