Q: Q: Won't shift when warm

I'm having problems with my transmission. It won't shift when the truck is warmed up. It doesn't shift out of first gear or go into reverse. But if I turn off the truck and start it again it works OK. I wonder if it needs a new transmission. I bought it a week ago, and it drove OK for the first ten miles. When I came out of overdrive it would only go 50 mph, and it seems to get worse all the time. Do you think I need a new transmission?

Hello there, many different faults may be causing your 1988 Chevrolet C2500 not to shift. The most common would be low transmission fluid, shift linkage, transmission range sensor, shift solenoid, or a mechanical transmission fault. Have a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose your shifting issue and pinpoint what repairs are appropriate.

3. Q: Won't shift when warm