Q: Car is shaking and the steering wheel violently jerks

Hi, I drive a 99 grand am se v6. I recently replaced 2 of my tires. I was unable to find tires that match the two existing. The local Midas mechanic sold me two tires that are slightly bigger and was told all would be well as long as the larger tires are both in the rear. About a week later I noticed a slight shake in my steering wheel when driving. Two days later my steering wheel jerks very hard to the right as if I am running over a large rock with each rotation of the tire. There are no visible bumps or lumps in any tires. The older of the tires are still fairly new as well and in good condition. I'm clueless as to what the issue could be. Thank you for your time, Travis

A: Hi there: If the issues started when they ...

Hi there:

If the issues started when they rotated the previous rear tires to the front without balancing them, I’d bet that’s what is causing the vibration and steering wheel issues. Before you continue driving the vehicle much longer, I’d recommend having those front tires rebalanced (by a professional tire center as opposed to muffler shop) as soon as possible. Also, make sure they verify that the two tires currently on the front end are matching size, brand and tread pattern before you have them check the front end suspension for alignment. If they don’t match, you should purchase new tires that are the correct size recommended for the front. If you’d like a second opinion on this, have a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, come to your location for a more personal diagnoses of your shaking condition.