Q: Car feels like it's floating

asked by on December 03, 2016

I don't know very much about cars and it's hard to describe how my car is acting, but here goes:

My car has started rattling underneath when I go over bumps and cracks. Now it is walking the road. The steering wheel feels like it's disconnected or something. It's not really pulling, it just floats and sometimes catches. It's worse at times than others, but it's always present. Also, it feels like my car is in a lower gear. I had my rack and pinion replaced maybe a year ago, and thought that might be it. But that felt like something was falling out of my car at that time. Could it be the drive shaft? Maybe tie rod ends? It got really bad this evening and had to drive slow coming home. I was afraid something was going to snap and I would lose steering or the bottom would fall out. 😔 I would like to know what to ask the mechanic to look for when I take it to the shop. Because they usually don't diagnose very well unless you help them pinpoint the problem. The tires are not low.

Hello, this is a serious issue, if something like that has change with your vehicle. The vehicle’s front suspension need to be inspected as soon as possible. I would seriously think about not driving till then. If you’d like, a certified Your Mechanic Technician can come to your location to do this full inspection. Please look at this web site for more information and service options. front suspension check