Q: Cables that unlatch and unlock tailgate have rusted out, and I do not have a way to get into the trunk.

asked by on October 12, 2016

First, the cable to the gas cap stopped engaging. I did not feel the lever "catch" when pushing it, so I knew it was a cable issue. We made a temporary fix with zip ties to keep the two ends of the cables together. Turns out the cable was eaten by rust which caused it not to engage the gas cap.

A couple days later, the trunk stopped engaging just like the gas cap did. The gas cap is still working, but I am unable to stick a key into the trunk and open it, and pulling up on the lever by the driver's seat does not open it. So far my research (and poking around my car) suggests there isn't a way to put the back seats down from the inside of the car; that you can only do it from the trunk.

I know the cables need to be replaced, possibly the cable to put down the back seats, and maybe the locking mechanism for key access on the door? But how do I get into the trunk to even look at what's going on? And how do I stop rust (that's causing all of this) from spreading and causing more issues?

Hi there, thanks for writing in. Most truck lock cylinders can only be accessed by removing the rear seats, the trunk cover and crawling inside the trunk or contacting a locksmith to unlock the trunk from the outside. As far as stopping the rust, that depends on where you live and how exposed your vehicle is to saltwater or road salt (for cold weather conditions). My advice would be to contact one of our professional mechanics to replace the trunk latch cables that are coated with plastic or other polymer to resist corrosion or rusting. Hope this helps and best of luck!