Q: Why does my tachometer not stay at zero?

asked by on November 04, 2016

When I turn my car on it never stays in zero, always goes at the number 1 most of the time, what should I do?

Hi there. The tachometer on your 2007 BMW 328i is designed to measure the revolutions per minute (RPM) of the engine while it is in operation. Anytime the engine is running, the engine will idle (without the use of the accelerator pedal) at a predetermined RPM. Usually, most manufacturers set their idle from 800 revolutions per minute to 1,200 RPM. On the gauge, every solid number (1, 2, 3 and higher) is measured as 1,000 RPM. So if your tachometer goes to number one when you start your car, it’s working perfectly. Hope this helps.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr