Q: Air conditioning is not cooling effectively during the heat of the day

During the heat of the day in the Pilbara of Western Australia (38 deg+) the air con is struggling to cool the inside of the vehicle. At the moment the air off temp is 12 deg in the vents and this may vary as to wether the vehicle is stationary or moving. What should the air off temp be when vehicle is at high idle (1500rpm)? The vehicles air con was recently inspected and some refrigerant was removed as they believed that the excess gas was cutting out the compressor. Still the problem persists. Hence my question.

Depending on the vehicle model and engine you may have a cooling fan not providing enough air flow across the radiator and condenser. This is most likely the cause of the a/c not blowing cold enough. The temperature should be 45 degF or about 25 degF less than ambient temperature out of the vents with the a/c on max air and the blower on medium speeds with engine running at 1500 rpm with a fan in front of radiator. Since you let some refrigerant out you will need to reclaim and evacuate and recharge the a/c to give it a full charge. If the cooling fan or fan clutch is not working then it will need to be tested and replaced.

• Air conditioning is not cooling effectively during the heat of the day