My check engine light goes on when I go up a hill or sp...

Q: My check engine light goes on when I go up a hill or speed up then it goes off and on

asked by on April 02, 2017

My check engine light goes on while driving but goes off and on also while driving. It stays off when i park or stop. I replaced the gas cap still the same issue.

If the vehicle is not overheating and the check engine light is NOT "flashing", and there are no other outward indications of the engine malfunctioning, it is safe to drive the car until it is convenient for you to request a check engine light diagnostic. During a check engine light diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would use a code scanner to retrieve the specific diagnostic trouble code(s) from your car’s PCM that have caused the check engine light to illuminate. Using those codes, the appropriate individual vehicle components or sub-systems (often a sensor, circuit, and the like) are then carefully tested, based on specifications set forth in your car’s Factory Service Manual, to pinpoint the cause of the fault or the reason why the check engine light has illuminated. Once the faulty part or component is identified, it is explained to your satisfaction and the mechanic will let you know of the cost to repair. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.