Q: ABS light on

The ABS light just started coming on today. Tonight, as I was backing into my driveway, I felt what was like the ABS kicking in and then the ABS light came on. Can I drive with this light on and do you think it’s the sensor that has gone bad or is it something worse with my anti-lock brake system?

If you are having issues with your ABS system it can be related to a number of things. It is possible that the cause could be related to a faulty wheel speed sensor. The problem could also be related to a faulty hydraulic unit for the ABS system.

It is certainly safe to drive your vehicle with an ABS light because your regular brakes will still work just fine. The ABS system is just a system that is designed to work with the existing brake system to help prevent wheel slippage. I would recommend having all of your wheel speed sensors checked for damage and your hydraulic control module checked with a scan tool by a qualified professional to determine the exact cause of the issue you are having. If you’d like to get this fixed, feel free to contact a certified mechanic who can diagnose your ABS issue firsthand and fix it accordingly.