Q: EGR code and Cylinder number 4 misfire detected.

In the winter I sometimes got an EGR code then it would go away. Replaced the EGR valve with cheap China one now getting Cylinder 4 misfire. I got a slightly used supposedly known good one from eBay (looks decent) same 304 code. If I block off the EGR tube 304 code goes away but get EGR code. I changed the ECT and IAT sensors thinking the ECM does not know the engine is warm and may be keeping the EGR open. What could be causing this? Head gasket? I know the EGR takes from cylinder 4 in this engine, should the EGR fully close when the engine is warm or does it stay slightly open all the time?

Hi there. The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve may be the wrong one or the cheap design could be not designed for the emissions requirements for U.S. standards. If the EGR is pulling from cylinder number 4 and after replacing the EGR and the computer detects a misfire, then the EGR is wide open and not responsive. It is clearly the EGR as when you close off the tube that the EGR light comes on and the misfire light goes out. I recommend replacing the EGR with the OEM specified part for the engine and all of the issues should go away. If you need further assistance with your EGR and misfire, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

3. EGR code and Cylinder number 4 misfire detected.