Q: Cranking but won't turn over - 2007 Hyundai Elantra

My car was running in park and all of a sudden it turned off and was smoking by the starter and would crank but now won't start at all

Hey there. Any number of electronic control modules or sensors can contribute to the vehicle stalling and/or not starting. Th crankshaft sensor tells the engine control unit to power up the fuel pump and ignition system when it senses the engine is turning. If it is not sending a signal, the fuel and ignition systems may not power up. Smoking near the starter can be caused by an electrical short.

Most vehicles have some sort of fuse or fusible link - basically a wire that acts like a fuse - that is there for if an electrical short or voltage spike arises, the fuse or fusible link can burn up. Sometimes they can just fail from age. Have a certified technician inspect your no start condition to confirm the fault and proceed with repairs.