Q: I have a 1989 Mercury Tracer 2 door hatchback and yesterday my car overheated and now wont start battery is new no electricity​

asked by on July 06, 2017

Yesterday my car overheated and I pulled over and filled the radiator because it was empty very very small leak on a very hot day...... But after letting the car cool down and refilling the radiator I went to crank the car and there was no sound and no dashboard lights my radio had a staticy sound but that was it I took the battery which is only 2 months old back to Walmart as well as AutoZone and had it checked and it was in a hundred percent working condition and fully charged the guy at AutoZone told me I might have blown my main fuse which I replaced but no change when I turn the key on the lights above me dimly turns on as well as the lights on the inside of the door dimly turn on but there is no dashboard lights no clock light no radio light basically nothing I also replaced a battery terminal thinking that might be the problem because it was damaged and while doing so I noticed there was no spark when reconnecting the cables so I tried to tap them again and there were no sparks

If the starter motor is not even cranking the engine, among the first possibilities is excessive voltage drop in the starter circuit due to poor electrical connections, or a dead starter/solenoid. With a battery in good condition and the immobilizer (security) system off, if the starter motor does not operate at that point, there are only two possibilities: 1) either there is no power to the starter motor/solenoid, or an excessive voltage drop, hence the entire starter circuit would have to be diagnosed; or 2) there is power but the starter/solenoid itself is bad and that includes intermittent operation which does happen. If you desire that a specialist from YourMechanic determine which of these is the issue, and get it resolved, please request a no start diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.