Q: Slight humming nose coming from front end.

asked by on February 16, 2017

Slight humming nose coming from the front of the car, only starts at approx 40mph, disappears if I take my foot of the accelerator, cant hear it when on the motorway at 70mph, turning left or right dose not affect it, seems to becoming from the front/middle left of car, just passed MOT start of this month !

what could this be ?

Hi there. Try stepping on the brakes and see if the noise goes away when driving. If the noise goes away, then the wheel bearings are worn and need replaced. If the noise is still present, then there is a humming noise with your tires. Check the tire tread for any unusual wear and if the tires are low on tread. A low on tread tire will have more of a humming noise at highway speeds than a tire with new tread. If you need further assistance with your vehicle making a humming noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.