Q: Oil pressure gauge

asked by on December 11, 2016

The oil gauge dropped while driving No oil put some in it Let it sat for a while and gauge went back up Does it seem as if I have a blown head gasket

Your oil pressure gauge works by using a sending unit that is mounted down on the engine block that reads the oil pressure inside the motor when the engine is running. As the engine RPM’s go up, more crankcase pressure is created and thus, the oil pressure rises. When the oil level in the engine is low, this causes a drop in oil pressure due to the lack of oil volume in the motor. This is a very dangerous situation to be in and will cause major engine damage when the oil is low. The reason your oil pressure gauge dropped is due to one of a couple of reasons. Either the motor is in fact low on oil or the oil pressure sending unit is not working properly and may be producing a faulty reading. I would recommend first, to check the actual oil level in the motor by using the dipstick. Be sure the oil level reaches the "full" mark. If this registers as "full" then you likely have a faulty oil pressure sending unit. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing your low oil pressure light to come on.