Q: Car is stalling when decelerating. Rpm jump when idle. Takes a long time to get warm

asked by on December 12, 2016

Tried cleaning the throttle body out. Caused rpm to jump even more. Had new egr valve installed. Smoke tested no leaks. Not really sure what to do now. Stalling is random but only happens when I brake. Any advice would be helpful, thank you in advance.

Idle Control Valve Replacement $146.15 - $920.51 Get a Quote

This may be a result of a dirty or failing idle air control valve. The idle air control valve reads the air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the engine at low speeds and at idle. Since this valve is controlled by the vehicle’s computer, it will adjust idle speed based upon other measurements such as engine temperature, intake air temperature and electrical system load or voltage. When you accelerate, the engine RPM increases, and as you let off the gas, the RPM slowly returns to the normal idling speed with the help of the idle air control valve making the transition from a higher RPM back down to idle speed. When the engine RPM drops below the normal range of about ~800 RPM, this often times will cause the engine to stall indicating a dirty or faulty idle air control valve. I would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and replace your idle air control valve.