Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls
  1. Home
  2. Articles
  3. Veteran and Military Driver Laws in All States

Veteran and Military Driver Laws in All States

Veteran and Military Driver Laws in All States main image

In the United States, active and retired military personnel are held in high regard. Because of their dedicated service, most states provide benefits to active-duty military personnel and veterans.

Aside from those actively serving in the armed forces, it’s important for the family members of military forces members to be aware of the laws and benefits provided. These perks can include:

  • A waiver of driver licensing fees
  • An exemption from registration fees and licensing taxes while deployed
  • Military honor plates for various divisions
  • Veteran license plates free of charge

While each state sets their own benefits for armed forces personnel, one notable perk is provided nationwide. As of 2011, it’s now easier for military personnel to get their Commercial Driver’s License. With two years of applicable driving experience and within one year of discharge, applicants for the Commercial Learner’s Permit can skip the skills test usually required to get the license, although the written test is still required.

As well, CDL applicants can more readily receive their license even when they are stationed away from their home state thanks to the Military Commercial Driver’s License Act of 2012.

Regardless of where you live or are stationed, each state provides benefits for military personnel. You can find state-specific veteran and military driver laws here:

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Skip the repair shop, our top-rated mechanics come to you.

At your home or office

Choose from 600+ repair, maintenance & diagnostic services. Our top-rated mechanics bring all parts & tools to your location.

Fair & transparent pricing

See labor & parts costs upfront, so you can book with confidence.

12-month, 12,000-mile warranty

Our services are backed by a 12-month, 12,000-mile warranty for your peace of mind.

Get A Quote

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


More related articles

How to Get a Louisiana Driver's Permit
s licensing program. The first step in this program is to obtain...
Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Idaho
The state of Idaho offers a number of benefits and perks for those Americans who have either served in an Armed Forces branch in the...
How to Avoid Back Pain in a Car
If you have back problems, sitting in a car for an extended period of time can be excruciating. Even without back problems, you could experience discomfort and soreness from...

Related questions

Q: How many and what size jack stand

Hi there. This would depend on what type of jack stands are on the rear of the trailer. If you have two jack stands of 18k pound rating on the rear, then you can put two 18k pound rating jack...