Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Delaware

The state of Delaware offers a number of benefits and perks for those Americans who have either served in an Armed Forces branch in the past, or are current active military members.

Vehicle registration benefits

Delaware waives registration and licensing fees for any vehicle owned by a disabled veteran who is eligible for adaptive equipment, such as power steering, power brakes, special equipment that assists the person in and out of the vehicle, etc.

Driver’s license veteran designation

Delaware veterans are eligible for a United States Veteran designation on their driver license. This allows veterans to obtain benefits from local businesses and other organizations without having to carry their DD 214 with them. While walk-ins are accepted to apply for this designation, appointments are preferred. Information about hours and locations may be found here.

Military honor plates

Delaware offers the following commemorative military plates:

  • American Legion
  • Delaware Veterans
  • Disabled American Veterans
  • Disabled American Veterans with handicap parking privileges
  • Gold Star Family
  • Honoring Veterans
  • Korean War Veteran
  • Missing in Action
  • National Guard
  • Operation Enduring Freedom
  • Operation Iraqi Freedom
  • Pearl Harbor Survivor
  • Prisoner of War
  • Purple Heart
  • Reserve Forces
  • Submarine Service
  • Veterans Foreign War
  • Vietnam Veteran
  • Retired (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard)
  • Air Medal
  • Air Force Commendation Medal
  • Army Commendation Medal
  • Bronze Star
  • Distinguished Flying Cross
  • Distinguished Service Cross
  • Navy Commendation Medal
  • Navy Cross
  • Silver Star

Special license plates require a $10 fee plus standard registration fees. Proof of eligibility may be required in the form of a military ID and/or DD 214 or documentation from the Department of Veterans Affairs. Applications for most plates can be found here.

Military skills test waiver

As of 2011, states are permitted to waive the road skills test portion of the CDL exam for certain military members or veterans with military commercial driving experience, thanks to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. As long as you meet certain criteria you may be eligible to obtain your CDL simply by passing the written examination. Among other things, you have to have two years or more of driving experience in vehicles comparable to commercial vehicles, and that experience must have taken place within the year prior to your discharge, or your application if you are still an active servicemember.

If you’ve been convicted of certain motor vehicle offenses (like committing a felony with a vehicle, driving under the influence, or leaving the scene of an accident) you may not be eligible, so be sure to check out the provisions in the application link below. All 50 states, plus Washington, D.C., now participate in the military skills test waiver program, making it easier than ever for military members and veterans to ease into civilian life.

Military personnel with qualifying experience can download and print the waiver here. Even if you qualify to bypass the driving test, you must still complete the written CDL test.

Military Commercial Driver’s License Act of 2012

If you’re stationed in Delaware – either permanently or temporarily – and it’s not your home state, this act makes it easier for you to get a CDL there. Active military personnel, including those in the Coast Guard, National Guard, and Reserves, are now eligible for a commercial driver’s license outside of their state of origin.

Driver license and registration renewal while deployed

If you are deployed or stationed out of state when your driver license is due for renewal, the Delaware DMV can accept your renewal by mail. If circumstances keep you from being able to renew in time, the DMV will waive late renewal fees for you and your family as long as you provide proof that you were stationed outside of the state at the time of expiration. This proof may be your military ID along with your orders, or a statement on Armed Forces letterhead, signed by a commissioned officer. The full list of information required to renew by mail is available here.

Residents on active duty stationed outside a 250-mile radius of a DE DMV office will have to submit an out-of-state inspection form along with endorsement from a mechanic or dealership, a copy of your DE driver license and insurance card, and the required fees, to the address specified on the form.

Non-resident military personnel driver license and vehicle registration

Non-resident military members stationed in Delaware may retain their driver license and vehicle registration, as long as these are kept current and valid.

Active or veteran military personnel can read more at the state’s motor vehicle division website here.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in South Carolina
The The state of South Carolina offers a variety of benefits for current military service members, their families, and for veterans. These range from extended license renewal durations to special license plates to honor military service. License and registration tax...
Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Vermont
If If you are on active duty, or if you are a veteran living in, working in, or originally from Vermont, you should get a better understanding of the laws and benefits and how they apply to you. The following...
Windshield Laws in Arkansas
If If you drive on the roadways in Arkansas, you have to make sure that your vehicle meets the requirements to do so. This means that your automobile has to be considered safe and in good working condition. One area...

Related questions

Fan belt squeaking
The belt tensioner or pulley will need to be checked along with the belt's condition. The belt may just need to be adjusted. I recommend having a certified mechanic, like one from YourMechanic, come and test your vehicle for you....
How many and what size jack stand
Hi there. This would depend on what type of jack stands are on the rear of the trailer. If you have two jack stands of 18k pound rating on the rear, then you can put two 18k pound rating jack...
Can the secondary air injection relay cause my transmission to randomly not perform as it should?
Since the majority of today's (if not all of them) are now controlled by electronic transmission control modules that receive inputs from the ECM, any glitch in the functioning of the motor may potentially cause a domino effect resulting in...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·