Skip the auto shop - Our mechanics make house calls
  1. Home
  2. Articles
  3. Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Wyoming

Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Wyoming

Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Wyoming

Wyoming offers a number of benefits to veterans, as well as active duty military personnel. There are also a number of laws and regulations military members will need to know.

Driver’s license veteran designation

Veterans in Wyoming have the option of having a veteran designation on their license or their ID card. The designation is a red V that is in the upper right hand portion of the card, which serves to validate their service. In order to qualify for the designation, you need to provide a verification form as well as a copy of your separation papers, the DD 214.

Military honor plates

Wyoming offers a number of different types of military honor plates available to veterans, including the Gold Star Families plate. Plates available in the state include the following

  • Former Prisoner of War (POW)
  • Gold Star Families
  • Disabled Veteran
  • National Guard
  • Purple Heart/Combat Wounded
  • Veterans – Air Force
  • Veterans – American Legion
  • Veterans – Army
  • Veterans – Coast Guard
  • Veterans – Marines
  • Veterans – Navy

The POW plates are free, but the veteran plates are $50, as well as the usual registration fees. To get the plates, you will need to have an honorable discharge, on your DD 214. If you are approved for the plates, they can be sent to your county treasurer’s office. You will send your payment in a check or money order to the following address.

Wyoming Veterans Commission
5410 Bishop Blvd.
Cheyenne, WY 82009

Military skills test waiver

In 2011, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration created the Commercial Learner’s Permit Rules. This lets the licensing agency in Wyoming provide drivers who have military driving experience with commercial vehicles to waive their requirement for a skills test when getting their commercial driver’s license in the state. However, you will need to apply for the commercial driver’s license within a year of leaving your position in the military where you were driving these vehicles. You also need to have at least two years of experience to qualify.

This can be a good option for those who want to put the skills they gained in the military to use in the civilian world once they get out of the service.

Military commercial driver’s license act of 2012

The Military Commercial Driver’s License Act, which went through in 2012, allows active duty members of the military to receive their commercial driver’s license in Wyoming, even if they are not a resident. If they are not residents, they still need to be based in the state. It doesn’t matter whether it is a temporary base or a permanent base though. All branches of the service have this benefit including the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Reserves, National Guard, Coast Guard, and the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Driver license and registration renewal

Those who are on active duty are able to receive an extension to their driver’s license from the Wyoming Department of Transportation. In order to renew the license though, you will need to do so in person at one of the DOT offices in the state, and you will need to show your active duty ID. The license you receive will have a “Limited Other” restriction on it, and it will have the phrase “Expiration waived when accompanied by active duty military ID card”.

Those who are unable to go into the office, or those who do not want to have this restriction will need to send in their license renewal through the mail. You will also need to include a forwarding address so they can send your license to your out of state address. Keep in mind that in Wyoming, dependents are not eligible for extension. They are required to renew by mail.

The address for renewing by mail is as follows:

Driver Services
5300 Bishop Blvd
Cheyenne, WY 82009

It is not possible to receive an extension for your vehicle registration in the state. You have to make sure that you register your vehicle, even if you are not in the state at the time it is due. Again, you will need to pay by mail or online.

Non-resident military personnel driver license and vehicle registration

Non-resident military members who are stationed in Wyoming do not have to register their vehicles in the state, as long as they have current registration in their home state as well as insurance. However, if you do decide to register your vehicle in the state, you will qualify for a tax exemption. You will have to register your vehicle, submit your LES, and fill out the Application and Affidavit of Non-residence and Military Service Exemption from Motor Vehicle Ad Valorem Tax. This form also needs to be signed by a commissioned officer.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Skip the repair shop, our top-rated mechanics come to you.

At your home or office

Choose from 600+ repair, maintenance & diagnostic services. Our top-rated mechanics bring all parts & tools to your location.

Fair & transparent pricing

See labor & parts costs upfront, so you can book with confidence.

12-month, 12,000-mile warranty

Our services are backed by a 12-month, 12,000-mile warranty for your peace of mind.

Get A Quote

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


More related articles

Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Idaho
The state of Idaho offers a number of benefits and perks for those Americans who have either served in an Armed Forces branch in the...
How to Avoid Back Pain in a Car
If you have back problems, sitting in a car for an extended period of time can be excruciating. Even without back problems, you could experience discomfort and soreness from...
P2159 OBD-II Trouble Code: Vehicle Speed Sensor B Range/Performance
Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC): P2159 P2159 code definition Vehicle Speed Sensor B Range/Performance...

Related questions

Q: How many and what size jack stand

Hi there. This would depend on what type of jack stands are on the rear of the trailer. If you have two jack stands of 18k pound rating on the rear, then you can put two 18k pound rating jack...