Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Louisiana

The state of Louisiana offers a number of benefits and perks for those Americans who have either served in an Armed Forces branch in the past, or are current active military members.

Disabled veteran registration and driver license fee waiver

Disabled veterans are eligible to receive a Disabled Veteran license plate free of charge. In order to qualify, you must provide the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles with documentation from Veterans Affairs verifying service-connected disability of at least 50%. The DV plate is free for your lifetime, although there is an $8 handling fee except on renewals. Veterans who qualify for this plate may also request a free permanent handicap placard, entitling you to park in spaces designated for those with disabilities.

Disabled veterans are also eligible for exemption from driver license fees, including Classes D and E, as well as CDL. In order to qualify for a free license you must have honorable discharge, and receive compensation from the U.S. government for a service-connected disability of at least 50%. Find out more here.

Driver’s license veteran designation

Louisiana veterans are eligible for a veteran designation on a driver license or state ID card. This allows you to easily display your veteran status to businesses and other organizations that offer benefits to military members, without having to carry your discharge papers around everywhere you go. In order to get a license with this designation you must have received honorable discharge, and be able to provide the OMV with one of the qualifying documents downloadable here. There is only a fee for this designation if you choose to add it prior to the renewal date.

Military honor plates

Louisiana offers an extensive selection of military license plates commemorating the different military branches, service medals, specific campaigns, and individual battles. Eligibility for each of these plates requires certain criteria be met, including proof of current or past military service (honorable discharge), proof of having participated in a specific battle, or discharge papers or U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs documentation of the award received.

You can view available military plates here, as well as calculate costs. Fees and requirements vary. You can visit here for a listing of OMV offices that have military plates in stock.

Military skills test waiver

This is a unique military and veteran benefit instituted in 2011 by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. It consists of a provision within the Commercial Learner’s Permit rule, allowing states to give qualified military personnel the option to skip the skills test portion of the CDL testing process. There are, of course, certain stipulations you must meet in order to avoid taking the skills test. These include at least two years of experience driving heavy military vehicles, and that experience must have occurred within a year of the time when you make application for the waiver.

There is a standard application provided by the federal government here. Some states compose their own waiver application – check with your licensing agency for program information. You will still have to take the written examination, regardless of qualification for the military skills test waiver.

Military Commercial Driver’s License Act of 2012

This act allows for active military personnel to obtain a CDL even when stationed outside their state of residence. If you’re in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard, Reserves, or National Guard, you may qualify for this benefit.

Driver license renewal while deployed

If you’re stationed out of state you may be able to request that the OMV flag your license as Valid Military, which will allow your driver license to remain valid until 60 days after discharge or your return to the state. Contact the OMV at (225).925.4195 to inquire about having this designation applied to your driver license. You can also choose to have this flag applied to your license at the time that you enlist in the military, or prior to being deployed.

Non-resident military personnel driver license and vehicle registration

Louisiana honors out-of-state driver’s licenses and vehicle registration for non-resident military stationed within the state. This courtesy is also extended to dependents of non-resident military personnel stationed in the state with the service member.

Military personnel are also exempted from use tax on vehicles brought into the state, as long as they can prove that sales tax was paid on the vehicle in one of the 50 states. You will need to provide copies of your orders and military ID, as well as verification of active duty, provided by a commanding officer.

Active or veteran military personnel can read more at the state’s motor vehicle division website here, or you may use the OMV’s Contact Us page if you cannot find the answer to your military question on the website.

The statements expressed above are only for informational purposes and should be independently verified. Please see our terms of service for more details

Need Help With Your Car?

Our certified mobile mechanics make house calls in over 2,000 U.S. cities. Fast, free online quotes for your car repair.


Related articles

Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Virginia
There There are many different benefits for veteran and active duty military who are in Virginia. There are also some laws and regulations that will be of interest to service members and former military members in the state. Vehicle registration...
Veteran and Military Driver Laws and Benefits in Wyoming
Wyoming Wyoming offers a number of benefits to veterans, as well as active duty military personnel. There are also a number of laws and regulations military members will need to know. Driver’s license veteran designation Veterans in Wyoming have the...
How to Buy a Personalized License Plate in Louisiana
Ordering Ordering a new license plate in Louisiana is fairly simple but if you’d like to order a personalized license plate, then you need to complete a specific process required by the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles. There are several...

Related questions

Driver side window goes down but not up
When you operate the driver's window switch, if you hear the motor run in both directions, then the window regulator ( is most likely broken. The window regulator may require the motor and regulator together depending on part availability. If...
Carburetor is getting gas but will not fire. New fuel pump and cleaned the carburetor twice. It will start on starter fluid but dies.
Engines that won't run are frustrating. Lets start by assuming you are getting fuel to pass through the carburetor. Next you will want to look into spark and compression. The spark may be the easiest to look into. You need...
How many and what size jack stand
Hi there. This would depend on what type of jack stands are on the rear of the trailer. If you have two jack stands of 18k pound rating on the rear, then you can put two 18k pound rating jack...

How can we help?

Our service team is available 7 days a week, Monday - Friday from 6 AM to 5 PM PST, Saturday - Sunday 7 AM - 4 PM PST.

1 (855) 347-2779 ·